Nov 16 2013
Well its been a little while since I’ve posted anything. Been buried in my studies.
1) My host father’s farm recently harvested a number of sweet limes. Here is my host brother Pratyush haggling over a selling price for the sweet limes the following night. I’m a huge fan of sweet limes, or mosambi, for eating and for juice. All the stalls that sell mosambi juice use hand cranks to freshly squeeze each glass. So good.
2) This is the Nagarjuna Sagar dam that I visited on a day trip. It is one of the largest dams in India. However, many of the benefits of the dam go to neighboring costal Andra. It is this lack of agricultural infrastructure here in Telangana that has encouraged its separatist movement. While there are occasional protests, its looking like the Telangana state will be formed sometime next year.
3) Sweet lime juice stand on the bridge.
4 & 5) On the trip to Nagarjuna Sagar, a few motorcyclists decided to tail our rickshaw for pictures and smiles.
6) We had the opportunity to go on a boat ride on the lake. When there is a crowd of at least 200 people fighting for tickets (many more outside of the picture), its probably not going to work out. We were very grateful not to get tickets as the small boat was filled to the brim and was lilting to one side.
7) Natural waterfalls near the dam. There were a number of monkeys here and one stole some crackers from my bag as we were walking. They are as sneaky and sinister as you expect when they want something from you. If you have nothing to offer, they put in a great deal of effort into ignoring you. They’ve even mastered ignoring to the point that they just look ‘through you’. Thanks monkeys for not even acknowledging my existence.